by Adriana Niño, PCWS Chair of the Board of Directors and Parent
After a summer full of excitement and water play, the time has come to attend classes and to create a routine for the new school year. In addition to new and existing families, our school is also excited to welcome new teachers who have joined our family this year. Ms. Eryn Lake and Ms. Paula Thomas , the Blue Bird teachers; Ms. Gail Morrow, the First Grade teacher; Ms. Victoria Mansuri, the Second Grade teacher; and Darian Andreas, the Music teacher. It takes a village to raise a child, and we are proud to have these teachers be a part of our “village”. No matter what class one’s child is in, the entire PCWS village participates in our children’s education and positive school experiences. Today I would like to thank the many existing families who contribute to our village in a variety of ways, and I would like to invite new families to get involved in the school’s activities and events. There are many ways in which you can participate:
• Volunteer with the Parent Association – They organize most school events, namely the Fall Festival and the Spring Dance, but many others as well.
• Volunteer with the Board of Directors – The Board oversees a variety of “big picture” projects on behalf of the school. Currently, the most important of these projects are the search of a new facility to which we can move in three years, and the creation of a special fund dedicated to this cause.
• Volunteer with the Handwork Group – This group not only creates the beauties and treasures that are sold during our events, but it is also a great world of companionship and play dates for the very little ones. Drop in every Friday morning, or every blue moon, and you will always find great company. Plus… no handwork experience necessary!
• Volunteer in the Office – help with clerical work, return phone calls to prospective families who wish to speak with a parent of the school, post fliers… There are many things that can be done to help the office, be it for one hour or ten.
• Donate your time on specific events – The school has a table at nearby festivals throughout the year, and holds several open houses as well. If you think you will have some time on occasion, please do to participate in a specific event.
• Donate dollars to our Annual Fund – Every year we launch an Annual Fund to maintain the spirit of giving amongst our community and to close the gap between operational expenses and revenue. Giving to the fund is important for many obvious financial reasons, but it is mostly important as potential large donors have requirements of 100% community participation prior to considering us as recipients of theirs funds. You can make a donation anytime through our –BRAND NEW!—website http://www.potomaccrescentschool.org , or you can do so during the annual fund drive on December 2012 and April 2013.
• Donate your skill – Are you a music player? A computer guru? A stellar woodworker? A dancer? A finance expert? Our school has many needs, and pays for many of the services it needs. However, if you are willing to be a pro-bono school service provider, we will love to hear from you.
To support our school in any of the ways mentioned above, please contact us here or stop by the office and speak with Tricia Clark.
I look forward to sharing with all of you the challenging and rewarding experience of educating our children. If at any time you have any question regarding our school or need guidance in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me.